Jeff shares the feelings of shame and isolation he faced as a kid struggling with bedwetting. Even if you never wet the bed, experiencing embarrassment and even self-loathing because of a perceived flaw is something we can all relate to.
Jeff shares tips on how to react to someone experiencing these feelings, and points out that we’re not defined by those imperfections. We’re defined by our relationship with Jesus, and he will always look on us with love.
Snippet from the Show
“What we perceive as some kind of stigma or impediment does not define us. We’re defined by the blood of the lamb and the relationship we have with Jesus.”
Tips for dealing with bedwetting:
- Be Patient – This is not something you can’t cope with.
- Realize that they may think their self-identity is in the balance, and that struggle is more important than your convenience.
- Love and affirm them as sons and daughters of God.
- Make sure they know they are not defined by this.
- Offer up your inconvenience to the Lord.
1 Peter 4:8 – Above all, maintain constant love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins.
John 9:1 – As he passed by, he saw a man blind from birth. And his disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” Jesus answered, “It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him. We must work the works of him who sent me while it is day; night is coming, when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” Having said these things, he spit on the ground and made mud with the saliva. Then he anointed the man’s eyes with the mud and said to him, “Go, wash in the pool of Silo′am” (which means Sent). So he went and washed and came back seeing.
Colossians 1:24 – “Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I complete what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church.”
Resources in this Episode
- Sign up to be alerted when the new Bible study on Romans is available!
- The Great Adventure Bible – the #1 Bible on Amazon!
- Jeff Cavins Pilgrimages